Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The DovekeepersThe Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I was worried about this book because I am not a fan of Alice Hoffman.  I used to like her books until I realized her books were all kind of the same.  But NOT this one!  This one was reminiscent of The Red Tent, which was a fabulous read, as was this one.  Very hard to put down.  I liked the way the book was broken down into the main characters by parts (this reminded me of The Poisonwood Bible) which gave the reader a way to really get to know them and from whence they came.  I have never been to Israel and therefore don't know exactly of the terrain on which it is set, but I have been to Greece, and visited the mountaintop ruins of other strongholds such as in this story, and also walked down into the cistern where the water was reached.  That gave me a great visual, and I could imagine that they would feel safe up there, always able to defeat their enemies as they were so easy to see. 



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment